Sunday, May 22, 2011

Names...

So Joe and I have not yet been able to agree on any baby names. It has become the one subject we really just avoid talking about, but something everyone else asks about.

The kids and I were hanging out in the toy room yesterday and Clay put in a Barbie movie for the kids (and himself) to watch. As the commercials were playing before the show, one came up about Barbie Mariposa. Clay commented that it was a really dumb name...we all agreed. This brought up the subject of what we should name the new baby.

I suggested we name the baby Mariposa, there was a resounding BOO from the kids. So, I said maybe we should just name the baby Barbie. The boys thought I was funny, Ali broke down into tears and cried, "But mom, then the baby will have a prettier name than me!"

I had to try really hard not to laugh out loud. I mean, seriously?!?! She actually brought it up later when I was combing her hair. She asked if I was really going to name the baby Barbie. I asked why not and she again started crying and told me that then everyone would have a prettier name than her.

I tried really hard to let her know her name was just as beautiful as mine and everyone elses, I just can't seem to comprehend the way the wheels turn in her little head. Apparently, however, Ali is very invested in this little girls name - and it must not outshine her own.

So, for those of you wondering what we are going to name this baby, I don't know. I do know, however, that we will not be naming her Barbie...it would begin a fued in this family that I think Joe and I would like to avoid.

P.S. Little girls are a lot of drama. It has occured to me that we are preparing to double the drama...oh boy.

4 comments:

Gary and Mauri said...

love love LOVE it! Ali clearly needs a little sister :)

BECKY said...

ali is hilarious! perhaps she's got a bit of anne of green gables in her if she thinks those names are beautiful!

Alli said...

Ali is the best name ever! Ha ha.

Heidi said...

Barbie is a pretty awesome name....