Sunday, February 13, 2011

Holy Red Dye...

I was at Costco Saturday with a friend and we noticed the pretty Red Velvet Cakes they had for sale there. I've always wanted to try one, but those things are so big I wasn't prepared to buy one and be eating cake for the next four months.

So, after getting home I decided I would try my hand at making one...after all, Red Velvet Cake is traditionally a Valentines cake, so what could be more perfect as a Valentines weekend treat?


Surprisingly, it was a very simple cake to make and it came together very nicely. The texture was wonderful and light and it tasted delicious. I must admit, however, I was not adequatly prepared for the large quantity of red dye called for in the recipe...1/4cup of red dye. That my friends is two FULL 1oz bottles of red foor coloring, and not the little dropper bottles.


There was so much red dye in this cake that our tongues were all bright red after eating one piece of cake (on a side note, I think I'm going to let Joe change Max's diapers for the next couple of days).

So, if any of you are looking for a reason to keep your consumsion of Red Velvet to a minimum - this is a good one. Especially if you're one of those individuals who has concerns about the effects of red dye - my advise, don't frequently indulge in Red Velvet Cake. I think my family has consumed several years worth of our daily value of red food coloring...perhaps we'll have to wait a decade or two before we try our hand at another Red Velvet Cake.

2 comments:

BECKY said...

maybe you'll have to have white velvet cake for the next 10 years until you can have your next batch of red :)
i think the diapers sound very intriguing!!!

Heidi said...

My sister in laws love red velvet cake and last year one of them thought "Hey... it would be cool if I made a blue velvet cake for my son's birthday." So she tried it and it actually turned green after it was baked. Then everyone in the family thought they were coming down with some horrible disease after going to the bathroom and then they remembered the cake...