Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Molten Lava Cakes


I've had a few requests for this recipe. It's a MUST if you are a chocolate lover...yum.

4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
4 oz. unsalted butter
2 eggs
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour

This is the chocolate I prefer to use.


Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.

In a separate boil, beat eggs with sugar (I use a hand blender to make sure they’re well blended).

Remove the melted chocolate from the stove and add the butter until melted and well combined.

Combine chocolate mixture with the egg mixture.

Whisk in flour until well mixed.

Butter sides and bottoms of 4 custard cups (or ramekins).

Bake in cups at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

[Notes: Don’t over fill the cups because they will rise significantly as they bake. The baking time varies A LOT depending on your altitude, how full your cups are, etc… (mine take longer to cook because I place the cups inside another pan, otherwise my cups will tip. If your cup/ramekin has a wider bottom you can just place it in the oven and it will take less time to cook). You will need to watch them very closely to make sure they are cooked to your likeness (the people I got the recipe from cooked theirs for only 11 minutes, I have to cook mine 20-23 min – just to give you an idea).
The outside should be firm with a gooey center. If you bake them too long, they will cook through. If you don’t bake them long enough, they will fall apart when you dump them out.
Once the cakes are cooked to my liking, I dump them onto a plate that’s been drizzled with a small amount of chocolate syrup and caramel syrup (just the ice cream topping variety. In the picture above I used raspberry syrup and chocolate syrup. Joe didn't like the raspberry as much because it made it 'too healthy', whatever that means). I place one scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top of the hot cake and serve.]

P.S. My sister-in-law will make extras and freezes them. When she needs them she just pops them in the microwave and warms them up. She says it works wonderfully! I haven't tried it, I've never had extras...

2 comments:

BECKY said...

They look perfectly fattening! Yum! And heaven forbid you add a bit of raspberry "healthiness"!!!! :)

JaNiel said...

I am going to have to try this one. Thanks Audri. I LOVE CHOCOLATE!